When my husband and I were moving, we probably ate pizza 10 times in 2 weeks while running around like crazy trying to get everything settled in.
While I love pizza, I was feeling a bit sluggish after all that heavy food.
Last week for dinner, I decided to recreate all the flavors of pizza but in healthier form – stuffed peppers!
I remembered how good my Vegetarian Crockpot Stuffed Peppers were and wanted to create something similar but make it taste like pizza.
I found these cute little individual crocks that I had bought and hadn’t used yet.
They fit one pepper each perfectly! Plus they make for a super cute way to serve dinner!
Stuffed with healthy quinoa, veggies, pizza sauce, and cheese, these peppers are delicious!
My husband took one bite and said it tasted exactly like pizza!
Try this for a nutrition-packed healthy swap the next time you’re craving pizza!
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 6 large bell peppers
- 16 oz mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 head of garlic (around 10-12 large cloves), minced or finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 15 oz can of pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, plus more for topping
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Rinse quinoa and cook according to package instructions, set aside.
- Combine mushrooms, onion, garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and ½ teaspoon of pepper in a large skillet
- Cook on medium high heat for 15-20 minutes, or until mushrooms cook off their liquid
- Add cooked quinoa, pizza sauce, Parmesan, and 1 cup of mozzarella to the mushroom mixture, stir well.
- Taste and add additional sea salt if necessary
- Cut the tops off of 6 large bell peppers, and remove inner membrane and seeds
- Stuff each pepper to the top with the filling mixture
- Place peppers in a dish and add ½ inch of water to the bottom of the dish (this will help with cooking)
- Cook at 375 for 20-25 minutes
- Take peppers out of oven and sprinkle mozzarella on top
- Cook an additional 5-10 minutes, or until green pepper is cooked to your liking